Thursday, April 12, 2012

Empathy Missing and Health Insurance

When it comes to seeing animals, babies or other innocents in pain or suffering i have more empathy then normal. So much so that i can not handle it. Hence me not being able to function in my normal profession as a Veterinary Nurse, now-a-days. Emotionally, I would be a wreck.

But i have noticed that when it comes to other women... mother's (who haven't lost children).... not so much.

it's almost like a knee jerk reaction. and it's something that i hate about myself.

My friend C is a massage therapist and she has been working on breaking up my scar tissue from my c-section. (i guess it's suppose to help with uterine health) When she works on me she says that people usually have emotional responses to her work... I haven't had any real release from it, yet.

She was telling me about her other clients who are having work done... several women traumatized from their c-sections.... one woman traumatized from her natural child birth bawling during sessions... and while i am writing this i am thinking to myself "yeah, it's hard and i can imagine it being hard for other people in different circumstances."
But my knee-jerk reaction when she is saying this stuff to me, in the moment, (internal dialogue only) is "Boo-hoo, Give me a f'ing break."
and I feel myself internally roll my eyes and get a little put off at other women feeling so sorry for themselves. With their alive children.

I wonder if this is how i will be for the rest of my life. I hope not because logically I know that I shouldn't assume anything about someone else's life.
Somewhere in between a cold hearted bitch and a weeping softy would be ideal. But nowadays when it comes to other people's pain, i seem to be either one or the other.

********

I haven't blogged about this topic because i didn't want to stir any political pot.
But it's my reality. and it effects my future as a mother.
Since Truman has died I applied for health insurance and was denied due to my pre-eclampsia.
Which obviously sent me into a panic over if we could even afford to ever try to have another child. I was depressed. I felt hopeless. I was angry.
I thought having to wait to try again because of my classical incision (have to wait for 12-18 months) was hard enough and then i was hit with this... i was not in a good place.
No one would take me and my only other option would be to get crappy health insurance through Jeff's school at about 1,800 a month.... not including any maternity coverage. It was looking bleak.
Luckily, Obama's preexisting Condition Insurance Plan allows me to have that shred of hope back... I sent in the application yesterday. hopefully no matter what happens politically that they keep this plan because people like me need it. Although from what i understand it is being reviewed by the Supreme Court and they might throw the whole thing out. Also makes me nervous for the up coming presidential election... (please please please don't take this health care away from me). I never thought that our president would actively be helping me have my second child, but he is. His work directly and dramatically is effecting my life.
Anyways, along the way I have talked to people who are against Health Care Reform.
Those who are literally telling me to my face that they don't care what my situation is (past/present/future), or anyone else's situation is. They don't like it and it's "never going to work.".................
Empathy.
Where the is their empathy?
Where is recognizing that something needs to change to help the sick people in this country? and tweaking the plan might be an okay idea instead of just throwing the whole idea out?
They look at a picture of Truman and hear our story and it means nothing to them because they haven't lived through it. Because they aren't connected to it in some way. They don't care that basically because i had really bad luck by getting pre-eclampsia that now i have to pay for it for the rest of my life.
You better not get sick in this country because it will haunt you for the rest of your life. Just because you get better doesn't mean that it goes away.
Now that Naomi is fighting lymphoma, she is another one in my immediate circle that this directly effects.
She has to continue to work a 40 hour work week while going through aggressive chemo and radiation treatments in order to keep her health insurance and have money to pay rent and eat. She can't just stop everything and go get the best possible care at a Cancer hospital... she's not rich enough for that.
And cancer is one hell of a preexisting condition.
But no one cares unless it's their family... and it's upsetting to me.

Can you imagine if our fire department and our police stations worked like our health care system works??
"My house is on fire but i don't have enough money to call a fire fighter." The whole neighborhood would be on fire.

Sorry, this turned into a rant.
But if you are still reading, you get the point. Empathy is missing lately.

*************

I never look through Jeff's phone.... like ever.
When i text or call him this picture of me pops up... a picture of me before Truman. Florida Keys me, to be precise.
I saw it today and I was blown away at how much physically and emotionally i have changed from that person.
Anyways, it made me flip through his pictures.
I found another photo that i have never seen of Truman and I got SO excited.
There were times when Jeff would go down to the NICU to spend time with him alone. This must be from one of those times.


Even though all of his pictures are pretty much the same, it still felt like present.
My precious little sweet T. <3
I love you Truman.

Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. First - Truman, you Love. You are a Love. You are so sweet. (xoxoYourPicturexoxo) (xoxoYourMomAndDadxoxo)

    And - nothing you wrote sounds strange, Laura Beck, not to me.

    I don't care what politics people cling to; if they don't understand how weird it is that the system limits "help" to those who need it least

    [STAY WELL, STAY PERFECT, STAY WHOLE, FOR GOODNESS SAKES]

    [or at least pretend]
    [if you can]
    [forever]

    I start wondering if they're cyborgs or something. Disconnected, detached, human-less, heart-less. Because, as you say, it hasn't happened to THEM yet. Or to their family.

    I have no idea what insurance scheme (they all seem like schemes) might work, but it's clear that what we have now Ain't Working.

    And as for "lacking" empathy sometimes, in some places, with some people ~

    All I know is, you've crossed over. You've crossed the grief chasm. You can't go back. You know it. It wasn't and isn't your fault. You speak the language on this side. You know when someone else speaks it.

    And you know when someone isn't speaking it, even when they think they are.

    "Perspective. Now you have it." {Leslie, I think?}

    Glad you don't bottle it up around here. We hear you.

    xo,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love seeing a comment from you. He is a little love isn't he!? :) he makes me so proud.
      <3
      I just sent out an application for the PCIP (preExsistingconditionInsurancePlan)
      I am thinking they will accept, hoping they will... (now that i have been denied i'm a little gun shy)
      But if the government takes that away from me then i am up a creek again.

      xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful little boy. Just so, so beautiful.

    "I feel myself internally roll my eyes and get a little put off at other women feeling so sorry for themselves. With their alive children." I hear you. I'm so sick of people whinging about wishing they'd had the perfect water birth they had planned, or not being allowed their stupid home birth. WHO CARES! They got to take home their babies! I have really low tolerance for that kind of cr*p. (But just to be clear, I'm not denying that there are indeed some awful, traumatic birth experiences... I just don't think a lot of people who complain have a genuine reason to.)

    About your healthcare... I remember when I broke my leg skiing in America in 2010, I was amazed and impressed by the quality of the care - fast, efficient, no rush, lovely staff, all questions answered... but, they didn't see me until I'd handed over my credit card. I had no idea how much it would cost, given that we have a national health service over here in the UK, and had to gulp and pray that my travel insurance would cover it when I paid up at the end (thankfully it did). But I was unsettled and left wondering - what would have happened if I didn't have any insurance? Or the money to pay?

    Our healthcare system is far from perfect - it has many many flaws, and can be quite hit and miss, but the basic thinking behind it is fair - if you are sick, you get the help you need, and you don't have to pay. You are not required to factor in finances when making decisions about your health. That I think, is how things should be. You have no control over your pre-eclampsia. Your sister in law has no control over her cancer. You both should be allowed to stop, focus on getting in great shape for your next baby (in your case) and getting better (in hers) without stressing over finances. I don't know too much about what they have planned over there with the health reforms, but I hope, hope, hope that it will make things easier for you and your sister in law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we need to have a system like yours.
      I feel like no matter what you do when it comes to government there are always flaws.
      When i was told that i needed to be emergency flown to San Fran, I begged them, no, please, let me drive there. The doctors said no, it's too serious of a disease at this point to drive.
      I got the bill in the mail for the emergency flight alone.... that was one hour out of the 2 weeks that Truman and I were in the hospital.
      It was 65,000 dollars. O_o
      Luckily i had pregnancy insurance that covered it.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet little guy!

    I completely get what you mean about people lacking empathy. Honestly, I always thought I had empathy for others, but it really took losing Drew for me to completely "get" what that means. I am now very sure that I can, and feel bad about all the times, before Drew, that I probably didn't. It's sad that it takes a terrible loss to make us truly see the pain of others.

    As for the insurance, I am so sorry for all the headaches. Good luck as you try to navigate it all.

    Hope you have something to smile about today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate :)
      I hope you have something to smile about today too. <3
      xo

      Delete
  4. Wow, I connect with so much of this post. The few interactions I still have to the natural birth/attachment parenting crowd we got to know during Elizabeth's pregnancy - well, they tend to piss me off with their moaning about birth experiences and antibiotics. I love Cathy's comment about speaking the language of grief and knowing when someone else just thinks they are.

    AND health care/insurance stuff is a huge huge mess. I am utterly stunned by anyone who argues that we don't need massive MASSIVE health reform in this country. Fingers crossed that your next application is accepted.

    Love that you found a new picture of Truman :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can relate to so much of this. I was one of those people once, the natural childbirth or bust ones. And then I stopped giving a fuck about that approximately two seconds after I found out Calla died. By the time I had Oliver I didn't give a shit if they needed to deliver him through my nose, just get him out ALIVE. Oh hell. I get the eye-rolling, and I hate that I do it ALL THE TIME too.

    And the whole health care thing? Make me want to vomit. Some people's priorities seem to lie in keeping women pregnant but not caring for their babies, or keeping them not pregnant unless by god's divine miracle, or screwing over people for the sake of their own precious, decidedly lucky, good health.

    Sometimes I really hate other people ;) Sorry for the rant! All this to say, I get you, I hear you, and me too.

    Love to you, friend.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so with you on this. Couldn't agree more.
      Thank you for ranting along side me!!
      Love to you MB <3

      Delete
  6. You know that picture of your son melts my heart. I don't have a single pic of my baby. You may remember he spent all of his short life in a nicu. I just wish things had been different. All our babies could have lived. Why is life so cruel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course i remember. I keep you in the twins close to my heart. I hope you are doing okay <3

      Delete
  7. Laura,

    We can identify with much of this post. Kari got denied for health insurance after we lost Margot because her kidney's failed for two weeks. Our system is so fucked up. Now we are just hoping and hoping that this new health insurance system holds up so she can get insurance again in the future.

    We were able to get insured for this pregnancy though. I know you live in CA, so I thought I would ask if you have heard of the AIM program (Access for Infants and Mothers). It's a state program for middle income families that don't qualify for Medical. We had Stella and Margot and now this one under this program. The total cost is around $800 for the program and it covers everything. Kari's health bill after Margot was $180,000 and we only paid the $800. Anyway, if you don't qualify for Medical, definitely look into the AIM program.

    If you want more information, Kari could give you a shit load. Feel free to email me and I'll connect the two of you.

    And Truman, young Truman. What a beauty.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh, thank you SO much!! I have never heard of AIM and i will definitely look into it. Thinking of you guys as you prepare for the arrival of Jackson 3.0
      <3

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad you have another picture of Truman--what a treasured find. Sweet, sweet baby.

    I get you about the internal eye rolling. It's difficult not to respond this way when all we want is to have our babies with us, no matter what. Back when I was still pregnant and having a hard time, I could relate to the complaints. Then, I kind of did the internal eye rolling in response to women who said their pregnancies were a snap, no problems.

    And I'm afraid I did do some complaining during my pregnancy with Molly because I was so, so sick all the time. I even said that pregnancy and I don't mix and that I didn't want to go through it again so Molly would probably be an only child. Oh, how I'm being made to eat my words now.

    I'm glad you wrote about the insurance issue, though you're concerned about "stirring a political pot." I always appreciate a little stirring, and I think we should be able to have conversations with each other about these issues, even if we don't agree.

    That said, I agree with you. :)

    I'm so sorry about your precarious situation. That's terrible. I've been without insurance in the past, and it's scary. My husband thinks that health insurance should not be attached to employment for exactly this reason. The way our system is set up is just too ludicrous--people are constantly losing their insurance or switching insurance companies and doctors all the time, and the advantage of consistent care with someone who knows your history is effectively thrown out the window.

    And for those people out there who are against some sort of universal coverage, I can guarantee that our current system is more expensive. Because, instead of uninsured people going to their doctors for minor issues, they go to the ER. That bill is going to be way higher than it would have been otherwise. So here's a huge bill and the individual can't pay it anyway, so what happens? Hospitals "write it off." But they're not just going to take a loss. Oh, no. Whether or not a hospital is nonprofit, health care is big business. So what do they do? Costs are shifted to those who are currently insured. Some kind of universal coverage just makes sense.

    Can you tell I'm in favor of universal health care? :) I believe access to health care is a basic human right, and that when it is treated as such, society in general is improved.

    Okay, phew. I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm just so sorry and ticked off that you have to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when i was working as a Veterinary Nurse the health care coverage was catastrophic only. I worked in a health field and even they didn't cover me! I was attacked by cat's, bitten by dog's and a monkey.... It's seriously serious to be bitten by a monkey! lol anyways you get my point.
      Looking back now, i know how reckless it was for me to work without proper coverage.

      You are absolutely right about people going to the ER. My friend S, is a cancer survivor and no one will insure her. She fell off of her horse and bruised some bones. She went to the ER and the whole waiting room was filled with tweakers and people coming off of drugs.
      I never thought about it from the hospitals point of view though of writing off the losses and then upping the insured costs. Makes so much sense.

      Delete
  9. (continued, ack!) As far as me personally, I've been lucky to have relatively good insurance through my husband, otherwise we would have been bankrupted with all that happened. I'm really not sure how a future pregnancy is going to be handled by the insurance company....guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But I did have an issue with my physician group because they recently severed their relationship with our insurance company, and so now I have to find new doctors all over again. And, it looks like I'm going to have to deliver at a hospital that doesn't have a high level NICU, which is really concerning because there's a possibility that any future baby (if I make it past 24 weeks) will be premature to some degree. So will baby be flown to another hospital while I'm stuck in a different one miles away? Of course, having access to a high level NICU with Molly didn't matter one bit. (I'm beyond bitter about that.)

    As a last note, I have a classical incision also (which my OB didn't even tell me about, and I'm so, so angry about that because it's crucial information to have for future pregnancies), and I was told by an MFM and another OB that I should wait 6-9 months. Funny how different doctors tell people different things. But maybe it's because I'm older (almost 40), and I don't have a lot of time to wait.

    I hope you're able to get this mess resolved and have some peace of mind soon. Sending you love and big hugs. xo

    p.s. Sorry I wrote a book here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the same boat as you. I was told that no matter how good any of my future pregnancies go, they will not let me go past 35 weeks. I was told that Truman should be my "one and done" by one doctor because it was so severe and that i have high chances of getting pre-e again.
      The PCIP plan covers University of California at San Fran which is where Truman was born. Do i really want to go back to that NICU to relive it all again? Not really but it appears to be one of my only choices unless we decide to move.
      Haggling for health care... moving in order to get best possible care... it's all so F'ing ridiculous.
      I was CLEAR with my doctors that i did not want a classical incision and that they please take that into major consideration once they see my uterus. The doctor who made the decisions without notifying me while i was awake on the table (Dr. Rowan) is also the one who snapped cased on me one night during one of Truman's decells... she is the one who almost didn't let me go to the NICU to see Truman after he was born. and she was also the one who came to my room bawling like a little child after Truman died. I have resentment towards her because of her poor attitude/bedside manner and she made decisions about my body, on my behalf, that will effect me for the rest of my life. She was a dramatic young doctor and severely rubbed me the wrong way. I have so many stories about that hospital.
      Anyways... her boss, head doctor told me to wait 18 months.... and then my family doctors told me that i could wait 12 months because they mean "from birth to birth" and explained that really they just want to make sure that the uterus is healed enough to avoid uterine rupture, which i get, especially in our case when we already have so much else going on.
      I'm glad that you wrote a book, I love (and hate) that you get this Pre-e stuff.
      Love and hugs to you. xo

      Delete
  10. I agree with everything you wrote. I'm in the heath profession and see how people who need care can't continue getting care even WITH insurancevecause only SOME care is covered Ora preexisting number of visits. It's frustrating to Menotti to be able to provide what I knowthey need.
    What about medi-CAL?

    I totally do the internal eye roll, it is so difficult to hear the gripings of the lucky. I used to be so gung ho natural child birth, then camille died and the priority of Alive over Which exit the baby took became a reality.

    Truman is so precious! So glad you got another picture of him!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on medi-cal with Truman... but I no longer qualify for it.
      I was gung-ho natural childbirth girl too. Now, I'll just be so happy if i can have any living children.
      Thank you Renel :)
      I hope you are feeling good. <3

      Delete