Today Jeff's sister, Naomi, was diagnosed with Diffused B Cell Lymphoma. She is 29 years old.
We found out because they looked into a tumor that had developed in the bone of her leg that had been giving her pain.
I wasn't shocked because what we were hearing from the doctors were the same basic "positive" smooth over statements that they tell people. (just like they did with us and Truman)
I know that they don't want you to worry until there is scientific proof that you should worry but hell.... sometimes i feel like if you aren't flat lining they have a smile on their face telling you everything is going to be fine.
but they don't know that.
I don't think they realize that maybe some people find comfort in reality (me).... the reality that anything can happen to any of us at any time.
sugar coating the possibilities only delays the processing.
and for me it heightens the anger. heightens the absolute shock.
The stupid doctor told them that he still didn't think it was cancer when he went in for the biopsy.
It's like well thank you for your very bad guess there buddy...
when the entire time i was thinking, i don't think that i have ever heard of a tumor in a bone that is not something to be concerned about.
I think we are all going through our own way of grieving this and dealing with this....
it is a loss.... the loss of health is still a loss.
No one wants to face something like this. Ever.
So now we are here, with this news and we are scared for what lays a head.
and worried.
and very sad.
and very far away from her physically which is hard on Jeff and I. (she is in Tennessee)
why does this crap always happen to the least deserving of people?
and it doesn't matter.
None of it matters.
you can be the happiest, most positive, giving and loving person in the world and something like this can happen to you.
Where is the justice in that?
There most definitely is none.
this is not fair.
Naomi and i have been very close since were 15 years old. I am looking forward to having her officially being my sister in September even though she has been a sister in my heart for a very long time.
2007?
us when we were 16?... don't mind the collage paint
2010
Jan 2012



thinking of you and your family......xoxo
ReplyDeleteOh I am just so sorry and angry and shaking my fist at the universe for how unfair it can be sometimes. All the bad stuff does not seem to be dolled out equally does it? I am sending so much love to you and your family member and hope that the treatment works.
ReplyDeleteThat is very sad news. I'm so sorry, Laura. It's true that anything can happen to anyone at any time, and we here know that for sure.
ReplyDeleteI am holding you and your family very close to my heart, my friend, and will always be here with a ready "ear." I wish I could do more, but please know that I'm thinking about you and will anxiously be awaiting more news. Much love to you.
Thank you ladies. I really appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteI updated the post a little bit.
when ever this stuff happens i always think of tragedy as "the big bad wolf"... nipping at our heels once again...
I just hope everything works out okay. There is a long battle a head and if anyone has the positive attitude to get through it, it's Naomi.
xo
I'm so sorry! Sending healing thoughts to your (soon-to-be) sister in law.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to read about your SIL to be's diagnosis.
ReplyDeleteI love the photographs of the two of you together. Such a lovely connection seems visible to me. It's so hard to reconcile yourself to the sheer injustice of it all, the unfairness. I'm so sorry that you and Jeff and Naomi find yourselves here, in the thick of it, once again.
Sending you all strength and hope xo
Oh, Laura Beck...
ReplyDeleteWho can decide what to hate the most? But I hate it when sorrow is heaped upon sorrow is heaped upon sorrow.
Why the unevenness?
Why some, shouldering so much, and others -
don't have to carry even a thimble full.
(Although they would tell you they have their share. But there is life, and then there is Way, Far Beyond Crap. Amen?)
I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.
I wouldn't wish this kind of struggle on my worst enemy - and it sounds like Naomi is a dear, loving, sweetheart.
(I will say - I love anyone who is kind to you. Clearly, she is.)
Why? Why her?
Puzzled and sad - over all of it,
Cathy in Missouri
Sending prayers of hope, strength and healing to your family!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. That is really scary. Hoping for the best possible outcome, but also agree with you on the "Why?" I also hate it when doctors say "don't worry" or "it's probably nothing" because we know that's not always true!
ReplyDeleteAnother blow is right. Damn. And why can't Doctors be more okay with reality, with a little sadness in life? I'm with you on that one. So sorry this has happened to your sister.
ReplyDeleteThis makes my heart hurt for you guys. I'll be thinking of you and Jeff and Naomi a lot. Sending lots of love, but I wish I could do more. xo
ReplyDeleteOh Laura, It's just not fair at all. I thought that the end of 2011 and going into 2012, we'd all be cut a bit slack and maybe things would improve a little... Unfortunately not. My sister has been in hospital for 5 weeks now with an undiagnosed brain issue and soaring blood pressure. It does make me livid - when is this sh*t storm going to end??
ReplyDeleteI wish you, Jeff and all your family the strength to go through this with her, supporting each other, and I'm hoping for the best possible outcome.
On an aside - sugar coating should be banned - it helps no one. I like the facts, the reality, the prognosis - all in real terms.
Take care, and may life just ease off you guys for a second! xx
I had no idea that you sister was sick, i am so sorry to hear that, Aoife. Has there been any progress since you wrote this? I hope so.
DeleteI'll be keeping her in my best and healthiest thoughts.
xo
Thank you for the loving support, friends <3
ReplyDelete