Wednesday, February 1, 2012

6 months

Today is 6 months from the day i gave birth to Truman.
6 months old.
I picture him in my mind, what he would look like. What we would be doing, what he would be doing.
6 month olds are so fun.
I haven't really been able to grieve properly lately.... i've been too busy. I can feel it building up now. My heart is really hurting.

I went to San Francisco for the first time since i left the day after Truman died.
Right after Truman died i felt like everything was fake... like all of San Fran was a movie set. and everything seemed haunted. Which i am sure was probably some sort of weird physiological coping thing due to the crazy amounts of trauma and stress. When i think back to that day, those days, i can not believe that i survived it.
That alone could make me break down into tears.
But being in that city again was good for me. I definitely feel him in the air there. I spend a lot of time outside and i never feel like he is around me up here on the north coast. But my trip to San Fran left me feeling like i visited with him and I liked it.

In the past 6 months so much has changed. and we have made our way through so much of the grief.
after all, we are human, we can not survive this life if we continued to feel the pain and anguish as those first few days/weeks/months after he died for the rest of our lives.
It's normal to move on but i can totally see how and why parents who lose their children can not.
Even with my moving on with my life, he is a part of it all and will continue to be. But the grief keeps him close. and there have been many times when i have felt the grief lightening and have fought it, fought to keep it, or felt guilty for smiling. Even grieving the loss of my heavy and intense grief is lifting.
Even with that, I long for him every second of every day. I never wanted him to be a cherished memory. I always wanted him to be my son.

I was just thinking about if Jeff and I have any other living children in the future.... how much their lives will be influenced by Truman being their older brother.
It's amazing.

I saw two little girls running down the side walk today and i thought: where are their parents? Don't they know that anything could happen? those girls are someone's daughters.... how brave or absent minded are their parents to just let them free, to do whatever and take their chances.

......

I laid here tonight and spent some time with Truman. Grieving him. Remembering every little thing about him that i can. I am still so proud of him. He tried so hard. He got robbed of so many things (and so did we) the moment that he died.

These are some pictures that i never shared. His eyes are swollen very badly but i love his little nose in this picture and how you can see so clearly that he has Jeff's upper lip and my chin.


Right after he came out... a few hours old.

I am finding that with time that my words are getting lost. That is why i haven't been blogging as much anymore. I just don't know what to say about all of this. It almost becomes more complex as time goes on and i just don't have the vocabulary for it.
and as time passes it's harder for those outside of the baby loss community to understand.

I want to continue to talk about Truman and be openly proud of him but at some point you start to wonder how you are being perceived by others--- and it shuts you up.

When listening to people talk, I have thought in my head so many times "if only you really knew. you have no idea because your child isn't dead." It seems to happen at least once a week. These are the thoughts that only the baby loss community will understand.

I am a mother, to a boy named Truman Montgomery Clerc. He is the bravest person who i ever met.
I hope that he is at peace. I hope with every inch of me that i can see him again.
If he were here today i would be snuggling him in bed, singing to him, listening to him giggle and kissing his sweet little cheeks.
Maybe in my dreams tonight......
<3

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Sweet Truman-- what a beautiful boy. Thinking of you all on his "half" birthday. It's hard, I know. May he visit in your dreams, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful little guy! I remember six months. It was hard, really hard, I felt like I took a few steps back, but then shortly after, something clicked and things started to feel different. I feel like six months was where things started to get slighly better. Don't get me wrong, they still suck (19 months later), but for some reason six months seemed to be a turning point for me towards the good, the better, I guess.

    I hope six months is a turning point towards the good for you, too.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect words for a sweet little boy. What a beauty, what a brave one. Thanks for sharing these pictures, even though I understand sharing them may be hard.

    This post was so full. So many thoughts and feelings, so much love.

    Six months was painful for us - I blogged about Margot and posted pictures too. http://www.jackatrandom.com/2011/09/falling-in-love.html I think it felt so impossible because it FELT SO IMPOSSIBLE that our grief was still so messy and thick and full and seemingly never ending. I couldn't understand how it could be so heavy still after what seemed like an eternity.

    I'm thankful you have a place like San Francisco to feel Truman, to remember him by. It's such a beautiful and complex city, a complicated reminder of your boy. I'm thankful that you guys can smile and that you're learning to integrate Truman into your lives. It's such a wonderful milestone in grief, even if it feels guilty sometimes.

    Love and peace to you both. Reading every word.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to your gorgeously cute and very brave little Truman.

    I know exactly what you mean about time passing and things becoming almost more difficult... It's as though I was totally swept away by the despair initially, then, as time passed, more and more facets of grief came creeping in making things, as you say... complicated.

    Six months - God I hit a low point then. It took a while for me to crawl back out of it. The finality of Seamus's death was really starting to hit home. I just wanted him back. I still just want him back...

    I hope that, whether you feel like writing or not, that you are comforted by knowing that we're all still here, still supporting and still thinking of Truman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truman Montgomery Clerc. A beautiful and brave little boy. I hope he is at peace too. This post is so full of love, so full of pride. I wish that you had all those snuggles and songs together too.

    I'm glad that you felt that you had visited with your son in San Francisco, that you felt his presence around you.

    Thank you for sharing Truman's photographs, it is an honour to see him xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet little man <3 thank you for posting pictures of him on his half-birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6 months. So short and an eternity. I know u miss him with all of your being. I'm sorry he is not here to hug and kiss. I went through a lull in blogging where it was exhausting trying to find words for how I felt when all I felt was missing and heartache. There is so much love jn the world and in this life. We just have to keep on keeping on. Hold on to hope. It's what we do best. Hope. Sending love and missing Truman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just passed the six month mark also. I can't believe it's been six months. Then some days, I think, "Really, its only been six months? It feels like an eternity already." I find that I'm at a loss for words. I find myself backtracking some days and I'm just so all over the place... that I don't know what to say or how to say it. It's such a lonely, confusing and sad place to be. I'll think I've finally made it through one of the stages of grief... only for it to come flying out of nowhere and slap me in the face.

    Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers always...

    P.S. I love the pictures. He's beautiful!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pics! Very cute little Truman. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you continue to write about your beautiful Truman Montgomery Clerc. It's an honour to know about your little fighter who came to you with so much hope. It's an honour to see him now. Thank you for sharing his photos. He is beautiful.

    It's been 6 months since my Liam died and I nodded all through your post. I'm feeling the same way. I'm smiling more, even thinking of another baby and looking to the future but all the while I feel so guilty for the smiles and going on without my boy. 6 months gone feels different. Liam's death is more clear, not as messy as before with the anger and raw pain. I can go through the days leading up to his death now when it was all a blur before. It's sinking in, i'm going about my days without my little boy whom I should be taking care of right now and that hurts even more. People have welcomed me back at work and I don't feel welcomed. I should be at home watching Liam grow up.

    I'm here, nodding, listening, grieving with you.

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful boy. My heart just literally aches that he is not in your arms. Sweet boy. Lots of love to you and Jeff.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hugs! He is beautiful. It's funny how no matter how our children look, even with the tubes and their slight imperfections they are ALWAYS beautiful to us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. loved, loved little one. Thank you for sharing his pictures! He's perfect and precious and pure sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I never wanted him to be a cherished memory. I always wanted him to be my son."

    Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures of Truman, Laura Beck.

    You are so right. The words run out. They just won't cover, won't say what they need to. They fail. This doesn't mean we don't come back to them and try some more - but always knowing...they are not wide enough to span what is trying to get out.

    I miss Truman with you.

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete