Perspective.
Baby loss has many different perspectives.
My point of view has changed so much since Truman has died.
and so many times.
Each emotion seems to come equipped with at least 7 different view points.
I was born grateful.
I was given up for adoption. I was grateful to be alive and placed with a family who is my everything.
My mom died. I was grateful for a loving father to teach me what it means to be a strong woman.
My grandparents, who had a very large part in raising me died and i was grateful for my chosen family. My chosen family are my friends that mean the world to me and have proven the test of time.
Now my son died and i am grateful for the loving partner that i have within Jeff.
I can truly say that i have not taken any of it for granted.
Unfortunately being grateful, aware, thoughtful, appreciative.... these things don't by you any extra luck in this life.
Shit happens.
and there is never a good enough reason for it.
The loss of Truman has been tough. and my mind set changes from minute to minute.
But gratitude.... that is what photography is to me. It's gratitude that people can see.
Most of all this year, i am trying to focus on being grateful for my life.
Severe pre-eclampsia almost killed me this year.
Yes, it killed my son, yes i have guilt that i am still alive and he isn't.
But i know how lucky I am that i did not have life altering seizures and die from this dangerous disease.
I think about all the women before me who have lost their lives to this disease or who have walked this path and then i think about all the women in the future who will face this. They just love their children, they just want to be a mother.
I am an organic, holistic woman, when i can be. But i am SO grateful for modern medicine. It has saved my life more times then i can count.
I am grateful for nurse Elspeth, the woman who helped me stay emotionally strong during my 13 days in the hospital.
I am grateful for coffee, summer days, warm breezes, plaid shirts, beautiful rugs, cars that are in perfect working condition, hand written letters, music, bathtubs, swimming pools, bathing suits, hammocks, art, pumpkin coffee creamer, apple pie, clothing, shoes, the love of friends and family, humor, movies, flowers, dogs, old quilts, Nutella, the south, moss gardens, succulent gardens, DIY tutorials, dolphins, traveling, snorkeling, cameras, natural parks, people who can make me laugh, random acts of kindness, gifts for no reason, homemade jam.... I could go on forever.
Saying all that, I do not feel particularly cheery this holiday season. The gratitude is in no way out weighing the sense of loss, the desperation, the confusion, the injustice. Like i said, i have always been grateful. I don't need a holiday for a reminder, i live my life in a way that clutches onto every moment.
Even before Truman died, i would kiss Jeff goodbye in a way that if it was the last time that i ever saw him, that i would be satisfied. I made sure to always say i love you. I made sure to always let people know how grateful i am for every single little thing.
It didn't matter.
Being grateful helps you feel like this life is beautiful, like it's worth living. But it doesn't help you with luck. It won't keep you from having horrible things happen to you.
I guess that is just where my perspective is right now.
I can not help but feel like the gratitude that seeps form the holiday season makes losses more poignant. That empty chair at the dinner table, the empty baby blanket, the silence of this room, this house.... it's still there.
and no matter how many things i list that i love about this life, it's not making the pain of that empty space any smaller.
I will forever be grateful for Truman.
But what happened to us is absolutely horrific. and i will never, ever, be okay with losing him the way that i did and i will never be okay with living the rest of my time here in this life without him.
I love being outside. I love nature. I feel connected to Truman when i am outside.
But, this assignment was definitely the hardest one for me.
I took many 100 steps in many different directions. I took many shots.
the first attempt was a failure. My perspective, or attitude, was making its way into my photos. They were lacking, dull, unimaginative.
I tried again several time and they turned out a little better.
One thing that i can hang on to is other people's perspectives of similar loss.
It helps to heal me.
When we came home from the hospital, after being gone for 2 weeks, our food garden had not been watered at all and was doing great.
Jeff came walking back up to the house with an arm full of veggies and said, "I can not believe that this forgotten garden is still alive but Truman isn't."
An ant will cruise by, or a slug, or an annoying fly. Or a plant will be not watered and tended to for weeks and there it is, seemingly "simple creatures," alive. and Truman isn't.
Jeff's perspective, rings in my ears all of the time now. and things like that have happened with so many other words that my baby loss friends have said.
It's like your words come alive, reach something that is deep within me that i didn't know how to say out loud yet. I've never met you in person, yet i feel like you are right here with me, holding my hand, staring at this overwhelming emotion and trying to make sense of it all.
It keeps me from being alone in this.
and i am grateful for that. I am grateful for you.
I am also grateful for my friends that have not experienced baby loss but still come here and read my blog. You don't shy away from this and i can not tell you how much that means to me that you read my words to understand where i am at. That is beautiful, meaningful, thoughtful and i love you for that.
I hope all you guys had a Happy Thanksgiving.




Such grace in the face of such tragedy.
ReplyDeleteMy loss has made me so grateful for John, but so bitter about so many other things and I'm afraid, in my worst moments, I still sink into the self-pity hole questioning, "Why us?"
But... but, I have noticed a little more gratitude sneaking through. I'm grateful that I still have the ability to have children. I know that doesn't guarantee anything, but it gives me hope. I read about a woman who lost her baby and her uterus in a birth that went terribly wrong... that really shook me out of my self-pity and I instantly felt grateful for the hope that we do have. A strange shift in perspective that I needed.
Thank you for reminding me to be grateful. xx
p.s. great photos once again - but I'm curious - how did you get that first one? Did you crawl under your dog?!
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful. You are doing amazing. You have such insight into the harsh reality of what has happened, which is absolutely critical. I think you will find that this somehow helps with healing and recovering. I, like you, will never truly accept what happened and how it happened, but we have to come to a point of peace in order to survive.
ReplyDeleteThanks Erin & Aoife <3
ReplyDeleteAoife, It was raining out and the barn doors were open. Pilot we in serious debate with himself whether or not the cold rain was worth a lap around the yard. I set my timer and set my camera down to get the shot, luckily he didn't decide to trample it! haha It was definitely a risky shot for my favorite camera!
Laura, what a beautiful post. I feel so many common thoughts and feelings with you. I think your photos turned about absolutely amazing! This by far was the hardest week and I think you captured how incredibly grateful you are perfectly. When you said "and no matter how many things i list that i love about this life, it's not making the pain of that empty space any smaller." I completely related to this. I think I felt a lot of guilt feeling thankful for things this week because somehow in my mind I wasn't honoring my grief if that makes any sense. I also felt that not being ok with losing Truman is something I always feel like you do. I'll have friends try to say things happen for a reason or someday I'll see why his life was so short. My response is and always will be that I will never see his death as anything but tragic and unfathomable. I find so much comfort in your words and images. I'm thankful for you. Thinking of you, Jeff and Truman :)
ReplyDelete"I'll have friends try to say things happen for a reason or someday I'll see why his life was so short. My response is and always will be that I will never see his death as anything but tragic and unfathomable."
ReplyDeleteKristie, you perfectly put into words what I feel. Why are people so eager to trot out "reasons" or "answers" that go nowhere and do nothing but trample grief? Meanwhile, the reality is "tragic and unfathomable."
Laura, that is how I feel about Truman's death. It is "tragic and unfathomable." I cannot make peace with it. I am not sure if that is right or wrong, but it is where I land. Almost, in a funny way, like I am mad at the universe for what has happened to you - I want to make "it" pay, and give your son back.
Your art continues to say so much.
Love,
Cathy in Missouri
beautiful photos! I especially like the water one with the leaf. The words in your post are so touching and really seem to resonate with me. I do remembering feeling like that and having similiar thoughts.
ReplyDeleteI love the color in your photos and how vibrant they are. (The first made me smile and laugh too! What a different perspective!)
ReplyDeleteBeing grateful def doesn't take away sorrow and I don't think I'd want it to anyway. The sadness is just a reminder they were loved so much.
Fitting horrific and grateful in the same sentence seems very fitting for my thoughts this week too. I still feel that. Horrified that she's gone, missing her, but then feeling grateful for the daughter we do have an guilt at the same time when I smile at our daughter but think about missing Bella. It's a delicate balance and a dance we'll have to do our entire life I think. The color in your images this week speaks to me. I love the juxtaposition of light and dark in the 2nd one. That's often how I feel.
ReplyDeleteWhen I read your posts most often I feel like you are inside my head writing about how I feel. I sometimes have a hard time putting my emotions on paper and I feel like you do that for me.
ReplyDelete"It's like your words come alive, reach something that is deep within me that i didn't know how to say out loud yet. I've never met you in person, yet i feel like you are right here with me, holding my hand, staring at this overwhelming emotion and trying to make sense of it all.
It keeps me from being alone in this.
and i am grateful for that. I am grateful for you." I love this paragraph too!!!! I am so grateful that I have found you and everyone in our class and online. I haven't been able to find any support groups around me and feel like I don't have anyone to talk to. It's hard! I spend the day taking care of Blake with no adult interaction until my husband gets home and it's really hard when I am not having a good day!! All I do is think about Jonah and how he should be here and what I would be/ should be doing with him and a 3 year old. Right now I have NO idea how I will ever be able to stop thinking about him or how this is supposed to get any easier!! I too am not feeling to cheery this holiday season, I wish it was over!! Well at least we have each other to rant to!!! xoxo
What an AMAZING post! I really relate to when you said the gratitude is in no way out weighing the sense of loss and how you live life in a way that clutches onto every moment. And also when you talk about the relationship among us babyloss mommas who have never met, I couldn't have said it better, and have often felt the exact same way since finding this blog space.
ReplyDeleteI love your pictures and your words. That first picture I had to stare at for a little bit to figure out what I was looking at.
ReplyDeleteI hate when people try to justify why my son died or find a reason. My friend said this to me once and it really struck a chord with me. Helps me put in to perspective and not rip someone's head off when I hear the "everything happens for a reason" bit. Makes me breathe and not scream at them "my son did not die for a reason".
"There was no purpose for his death, however there was a purpose for his life."
I tried to make the heart symbol but it wouldn't work so this will have to do...
ReplyDelete((( HEART )))