Conversation
friend:"I wish you and Jeff were having a wedding party, this was one of my last chances to stand up for someone."
thinking: ???? he would have never stood up on Jeff's side, he is delusional.
me: ".... yeah we aren't doing that. But maybe we will take a 'would have been in the wedding party' picture, which would be nice. Julie would have been my maid of honor."
friend: "What about Beth?"
me: "Beth and I aren't friends anymore. We don't talk. She's not even invited to the wedding."
{Beth and i were best friends since high school. I was there for all 3 of her pregnancies, births and raising of her children and was known as "Aunt Laura"/godmother to her middle child}
friend: (confused look) "Really? What happened?"
me: "I almost died in the hospital and she never called me once. Then Truman died and we never really talked much after that. She texted me a few times to remind me that she felt bad that she couldn't call me, ironically because her phone was in her hand. So yeah, the girls and her are out of my life."
friend: (his eyes started to well up with disbelief and tears, as he now is just starting to understand 0.5% of what we have been dealing with) "You loved those girls."
me: "Yeah. We have lost so much.... it's hard for people to really understand. I didn't just lose my son, which is horrible enough on it's own, i lost friends on top of it when we needed them the most. There is so much more that we lost too but-" (stopping myself before jumping into it all)
friend: "Jeff laid into me almost immediately the first time i saw him since and rightfully so. I am so sorry that i wasn't there for you guys, when i should have been. I know what amazing people you two are, and the love that you have for each other and i know that you will have children some day."
thinking: You Know? no one knows anything. Truman might be the only baby we ever have.
me: "We did have children. We had Truman."
friend: "I know, i'm sorry, that's not what i meant...."
me: "Well, it's just hard because, this is all after the fact. I appreciate that you are sorry. It's better late then never but at the same time Jeff had no one and that's not okay with me. Truman was a person just as much as J [his brother who died] was. Any child that we have will be Truman's sibling. We live with missing him every single day and you have no idea what we really went through because you weren't there. and you don't ask."
friend: "I know, I'm sorry."
thinking now: If you weren't there, then you really don't know much and if you don't know much then you don't know who we are any more as people. It makes it all so superficial. Can anyone truly be sorry after the fact when it comes to something like this? I'm not sure. Just because it's so easy to say. Actions speak louder then words. It's not like he didn't know exactly what he was doing.
Just interesting to see the first glimmers of remorse showing from someone who had gone missing.
Good for you for saying (most of) those things. These are the conversations I've only been able to have in my head and wish I could say them out loud. I hope he is back for good and can start working on being a better friend for your husband, Truman and you.
ReplyDeleteSounds to me like he's taking the very first of about 1,000 steps to earn back your trust and friendship. Good for you for speaking (at least some version of) the truth.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you said something. I've tried saying things and people still have continued to not show up and let me down, so I hope this friend follows through and shows up for you husband if they used to be that good of friends. I don't know about him but guys tend to be so much more forgiving than women. Hmm. Too little too late. That's just me. People suck.
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about this very thing a lot lately. One of my husband's friends called recently and said she was sorry she hadn't been in contact because she didn't know what to say. My husband replied, "Well, I know it's hard to know what to say, but say *something*." I think she was offended.
ReplyDeleteAnother friend of ours has frequently been on my mind lately, someone who my husband regarded as close and who I had become friends with as well. She never called, texted, or wrote to me at all after I almost died and our daughter died, and I felt her silence actually did send a loud message that said, "You and your family don't matter to me." Not only was I hurt for myself, but I was hurt for my husband who was deserted in his time of need. Thankfully, another friend came through for him and has been a great support.
Lately, though, I've been thinking about that other friend who is now out of our lives. She had told me that she had a daughter who was stillborn about 20 years ago, and I've been wondering if she disappeared on us because our experience hit so close to home. She didn't say it did when I told her why I was upset, but I've been considering sending her a letter and opening the door for her to perhaps explain. Of course, when I was open about my feelings to her before, she responded by saying she thought that she "didn't do anything wrong." When you tell a friend that you've been wounded by her behavior, the response you get is telling. Does she say she's sorry that you've felt hurt and that she's sorry for what you've been through, or does she merely get defensive and assume a right/wrong position?
So I still don't think she was a very good friend to us at all, but I'm wondering if her actions were mired in her own tragedy that happened so many years ago.
I'm glad that your friend is owning up to his behavior and apologizing, and at the same time, I understand your feelings of hesitation and wariness. Actions DO speak louder than words, very true.
Love to you. xo
I'm so sorry to hear this, but so glad you spoke up. It takes a lot of courage to do so.
ReplyDeleteI was completely oblivious to the fact that my friendships were going to be affected by my son dying, but now hearing from others I realize I'm not alone. It was like another loss when my friends pulled away. I had a really terrible experience with one specific friend. I was going to be her matron of honor (she actually just got married just over a week ago) and so we were very close friends. After our baby died she kept saying some hurtful things, those types of comments we have all heard that just make us cringe. They don't mean to be hurtful, but they are. When she picked her wedding date it happened to be the same weekend as our son's due date (well would have been his first birthday) and didn't even make mention of it or acknowledging that she knew it may be a tough time for us and she was well aware of the date. To go back even further, the day after we found out our son died I asked her if she could come over and have dinner since I made my husband go to work as it was his second day at this new job. She told me she couldn't come b/c she had promised her neighbor friend to attend some event for her work. Needless to say I was a bit upset that she didn't think being with her close friend at the absolute worst time in her life was important.
So after months of her making comments and just not being a good friend I finally had to say something. I told her how it made me feel when she would make her comments and that I wish she would take my feelings in to consideration. She got defensive immediately and instead of just saying I"m sorry she said that she wanted her old friend back and I wasn't the same as I was before (well duh). She then told me how upset she was that I refused to let her come to the hospital to visit me when I was in labor because she took time away from work to come and see me and I refused to let her come in. (she works in the doctor's building next to the hospital, so not like it was that far) I didn't have any visitors. It was me, my husband and my sister. It wasn't a time I really wanted a lot of people around. It was in that moment that I realized she wasn't a true friend. She was making things about her and couldn't just swallow her pride and say a simple I'm sorry. A few months after I let her know how i was feeling, she said she was just going to have her sister stand up for her in her wedding. She said she knew I was still grieving and so she just didn't want to add being in her wedding on my plate. I was relieved as I had a rough time faking the friendship.
I was invited to her wedding, but chose not to go. It was best for me to just cut ties, but it's easier said than done. If she were to come back like this friend of yours I know it would be impossible for me to trust her. I think in our grieving process we are still very raw and sensitive, so we protect ourselves. I hope this person comes full circle and truly realizes his actions. It's so sad that on top of losing our babies, we lose so much more.
Thinking of you and Truman, always.
YES! So glad you told this guy what's up. I would love to have the opportunity to say some of those things too--I'm afraid I'd be too chicken. Good for you. You rock.
ReplyDeletexo
I mostly just fantasize about having a conversation like this with some of the crap 'friends' in our lives... partly because I'm too chicken to speak up, but also because they never give me the opportunity to tell them how useless they've been. Shame really - I'd love to let it all out.
ReplyDelete