every single month that passes by I am slapped with shock. Shock that we have to go on like this.
Even though i keep repeating myself... It is just so unbelievable that this happened to us.
Assignment 4.
Where do i want to be a year from now?
This means that i have to hope for something...............
and hope is something that i have been trying to figure out for the past 4 months.
hope is something that i am almost afraid to have because it means i may be crushed again.
I am in this space in between losing a child from a disease that almost killed me as well and wondering if I will go on to have any more living children.
Ideally a year from now, I would like to have a living child. But that is not in the cards for me at this point due to medical concerns from my surgery with Truman.
Realistically, in a year from now, i will be starting to meet with a new high risk pregnancy doctors and forming a plan of action on how to get me and a baby through a pregnancy alive.
As i type that, i do think about how that means that I may very well die this next time around. and I am most certainly afraid to die and leave my Jeff, Dad and friends. I know that any of us can die at anytime. But i was so close. and i know that i am risking that with another pregnancy but i just can not be done trying yet. That decision to try again is absolutely terrifying. Especially because there is a set time frame on it. A countdown.
and people may call me stupid for trying. but my story of trying is not over yet, that is one of the only things that i know for sure anymore about myself.
So between here and there I want to become as educated as i can on Pre-eclampsia, eclampsia, HELLP syndrome and all of the effects that they have on baby's.
My goal is to be in the best health that i can possibly be in by this time next year.
I have already implemented a fitness plan and I am 3 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight already. I hope to lose another 25lbs safely and effectively. But let me clarify. Getting pre-eclampsia has nothing to do with weight. I just want to be in the best physical shape possible to weather the storm that it is. While I am working out, I am literally thinking about beating the shit out of pre-eclampsia. Sometimes i get so into it that i need to stop because i start to cry. If it was a tangible thing, I would most definitely slay the crap out of it. lol I'm not a violent person. I just hate what this disease does to people and what it did to us. So i will beat myself into the most hardcore shape that i can possibly be in to try and beat it.
I want to learn how to cook better. We eat very healthy already but Jeff does most of the cooking because he is good at it and I suck. I want to not suck at it.
I really hope that my photography takes off again too. I have been in a rut creatively this past year. I really hope that I can bring in more clientele and hopefully by this time next year i will be able to handle the pressure of a wedding season again.
I couldn't decide between 3 words.... breathe, zeitgeist & reciprocity.
I wanted to let the letters decide for me. So i went out in search of any and all letters that i could find. Even though i really wanted to use "Breathe" I could not find a capital B out there so the letters lead me to "reciprocity".
I like the word "Breathe" because it is almost equivalent to "Just be" to me. Just breathe. Take a moment. Be right here, right now. You are alive. Truman is not. This is the reality of the situation. I am privileged to be breathing. something that i take for granted almost every single day.
~I Breathe in Strength, Confidence and Blue Skies. My fears Yield in the Vibrant Light of My Being~
and "zeitgeist". The spirit of the time; the taste and outlook characteristic of a period or generation. the spirit, attitude, or general outlook of a specific time or period, esp. as it is reflected in literature, philosophy, etc.
have you seen the indie film "Zeitgeist"? I saw the 2007 & 2008 versions but i am looking forward to watching the 2011 & 2012 version.
What a spirit of the times it is for Jeff and I right now. I can only imagine at this time next year.... the zeitgeist that that will be? I don't know.
So Reciprocity it is. It's a nice word.reciprocity : the quality or state of being reciprocal : mutual dependence, action, or influence
1. A reciprocal condition or relationship.
2. A mutual or cooperative interchange of favors or privileges, especially the exchange of rights or privileges of trade between nations.
1. reciprocal action or relation
2. a mutual exchange of commercial or other privileges
"1. Moving back and forth alternately. 2. Giving and taking something mutually. 3. Making a return for something given or done. 4. Being complementary or at least equivalent.
The Principle of Reciprocity
Reciprocity means give and take. It's the law of cause and effect, and we see it all around us. When you say, "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours," that's Reciprocity.
Isn't it funny that we human beings judge another person's heart by the way that we give? When you truly love someone, you want to lavish your treasures upon them. Whatever your gifts -- time, money, talent, affection -- they express your love. The reverse is also true. People hold back when their heart is cold. Cold-hearted people can expect coldness in return. Whatever "Seed" is sown, that is the "Harvest" that you can expect to "Reap".
There are two important lessons in the Principle of Reciprocity. The first is - "If you give, it will be given back to you." Sometimes you get back more than you give! (and sometimes not)! The second lesson is harder to master - "Learn to give without hoping to get anything back!" Either way, it makes you feel good.
This Principle of Reciprocity affects your relationships with your loved ones, neighbors, friends, and even strangers! The Principle of Reciprocity shows that you're kind when you use what you have to help others. "
|
I like this word especially when it comes equipped without the sense of obligation. Giving just to give. Doing something without expecting anything in return. This word is complex and often comes with baggage. I want to focus on this word this year while eliminating that baggage.
After losing Truman, my mind flooded with good deeds and kind things that i have done for other people. Random acts of kindness with truly expecting nothing in return.
Once he died and since then I have focused on those things and found myself cursing this unfair world.
No matter how good you are, no matter what you do to go out of your way, No matter the good deed, it does not "scratch your back" back when you need it to.
This really bothers me in regards to Truman.
I guess on some level I was hoping that Karma really does exist.
In some cases in my life, I have been waiting a very very long time to see a sense of "what goes around comes around" to come into effect. I have been waiting for patiently for years, in many cases it never-ever comes (from what i can see). and to think on some level that this is my "what goes around comes around", that losing Truman is my Karma, That somehow i deserved this? It's unthinkable.... in my mind, no one deserves this.
This truly is a chaotic world.
I will never use the saying "what goes around comes around" in regards to what someone has happen to them in life again. I have learned the hard way, that sometimes people, most definitely, do not get what they deserve. and saying that is like applying your judgement to a situation.... you have no idea what a person puts out in the world. you have no idea what they truly deserve. you have no idea. none of us do.
Even though these horrible things happened to me and us.... we continue to give reciprocity to each other and to the world.
More then anyone on this earth i do believe that a parent who has lost their child understands what a privilege that it is to live. and we battle between knowing the privilege and using that privilege for all that it's worth. because sometimes we just can't make the most of life and we feel guilty for it.
Our entire lives are filled with this give and take.
I will never be able to pay my son back for the love that he showed me. I will never be able to pay back that kind stranger who hugged me in the street that one day right after Truman died. Her kindness still pops up in my mind. I'll never be able to repay my friend Julie and her husband Jessie who stuck so close by our side during the entire hospital-birth-death of Truman. I will never be able to repay my nurse Elspeth. My Dad. Jeff. my friends, new and old who have held my hand through this.
there will never be an an equality between that which we give and take. and feeling guilty about any of it is just useless. Because it will never even out. It just is what it is. You give when you can, you show appreciation when you can, you take when you can and hope for the absolute best. and you stay grateful.
This week Beryl posted a blog bout the Giving Tree and how every year, as a tribute to Bella, she "adopts" a child in need about the same age and buys them Christmas gifts.
She did this. It touched me. So i joined in as a tribute to Truman and adopted a child in my area and told my friends about it. Beryl doesn't reap the physical benefits but someone else in need does. so maybe the benefit is more emotional for everyone involved.
Now it is contagious and other people want to help children in need this holiday season as a tribute to whoever.
It all feels SO good to help someone in need. and this was reciprocity influencing my actions.
I know that Truman would be proud of us doing that.
Plot: The Giving Tree is a tale about a relationship between a young boy and a tree. The tree always provides the boy with what he wants: branches on which to swing, shade in which to sit and apples to eat. As the boy grows older, he requires more and more of the tree. The tree loves the boy very much and gives him anything he asks for. In an ultimate act of self-sacrifice, the tree lets the boy cut it down so the boy can build a boat in which he can sail. The boy leaves the tree, now a stump. Many years later, the boy, now an old man, returns, and the tree sadly says: "I'm sorry, boy... but I have nothing left to give you." But the boy replies: "I do not need much now, just a quiet place to sit and rest." The tree then says, "Well, an old tree stump is a good place for sitting and resting. Come, boy, sit down and rest." The boy obliges and the tree was very happy.
"Is this a sad tale? Well, it is sad in the same way that life is depressing. We are all needy, and, if we are lucky and any good, we grow old using others and getting used up. Tears fall in our lives like leaves from a tree. Our finitude is not something to be regretted or despised, however; it is what makes giving (and receiving) possible. The more you blame the boy, the more you have to fault human existence. The more you blame the tree, the more you have to fault the very idea of parenting. Should the tree's giving be contingent on the boy's gratitude? If it were, if fathers and mothers waited on reciprocity before caring for their young, then we would all be doomed." - Timothy P. Jackson
Thank you for this class, Beryl & friends. I truly enjoyed my time with you and my new friends here at Illuminate. xo

I have a friend who said the very thing to me" breath just breath" For me its not one minute at a time, nor one step, its one breath at a time and so I focus on that. I dont think I do have a better apppreciation of life,or feel privledged for breathing even though I almost lost my life as well when Jack was born.Thats jus me, we are all different. I actually struggle with it more, feel it is unfair that I am here and he is not and everything seems alot more dull now but I do have hope. Hope is the last thing thats left in a person when everything else is stripped away. It is hope that keeps us going. I think you are on the right path ( if there even is one lol), and have a good perspective. xo
ReplyDeleteI am impressed you found all of those letters..I found it much harder than I thought it would be. =) I remember that time of waiting to try again, we had to wait at least 9 months after Mikayla since she was born by vertical c-section. It was hard, but for me if offered an amount of healing that I don't think would have been possible in a shorter time frame. I know the fears of what a future pregnancy will bring are difficult when you are faced with an outcome that was the same...I pray that you will learn to breathe through these times and that with each passing day you find more peace with this reality.
ReplyDeleteThe letters you found are beautiful! And to find that many letters shows imporatnce to the word. I pray for health and little feet running around you, and that your fears will be calmed. I love the quote about breathe. So many good words and inspiration.
ReplyDeleteI love that when you train you are thinking about "beating the shit out of pre-eclampsia"... excellent motivator! I hope that this time next year, you are in great shape (you sound like you're well on your way) and that you find yourself heading towards another pregnancy, with a plan that you, Jeff and all your medical team are happy and confident with.
ReplyDeleteYour reciprocity project fits in very well with a future pregnancy I think - giving without expectation. Embarking on that journey again when there are no guarantees.
I was much like you, I had some inherent belief in karma, getting what you deserve, reaping what you sow... it'd be nice if things worked out nice and evenly like that, all order and neat and balance... but as you say, life just isn't like that - it is chaotic. I hadn't realised how deeply ingrained my notion of karma was until I tried to shake it. But I've slowly been letting it go over the last few weeks, and I'm trying to accept that life is crazy and random, and we just have to struggle through, do the best we can and as you so graciously describe, try to find some gratitude for the privilege of living.
Wow, what a word! And you managed to get all the letters! Great job!
ReplyDeleteIt really does feel good to help someone in need, esp when the person can never repay you. But really, good deeds are supposed to be done without expecting something in return. I appreciate the many things people have done for us that I can never repay.
I know it has to be difficult to wait to have another child when all you want is to hold a baby in your arms. You wish it could be Truman but the need, the ache, to hold your own baby is strong. I pray that you can go on to have another pregnancy and be able to get thru it safely with a living child.
I guess i would like to clarify a bit.
ReplyDeleteJust with some time to think after writing this.
Most of my good deeds have come from helping injured or sick animals in need. The donations that i have made to charities. Or the several times i helped the elderly.
the Innocents.
I thought about all these times when Truman was sick because I wanted "Karma" to repay me right then and there. That is where i wanted to cash out my winnings, to help Truman survive. But i couldn't, it doesn't work like that.
I know that those animals can never repay me and i would never want them too.
but when i wrote this i was thinking about the obligations of reciprocity I was thinking specifically about relationships. Mostly friendships.
"Treat other's the way that you would want to be treated."
A lot of my friendships before Truman consisted of me trying my best to always be there to support and love them. I was happily extending myself and reaching out to them. After Truman, I realized that i expected certain people to be there, because i was there for them in the past. This did not happen.... and the give and take of certain friendships ended, in my life and in Jeff's. and it really hurt me.
But I need to protect my feelings as well in order to survive all this. and So i will be thinking a lot about reciprocity in the year to come and how my actions effect others. and how their actions effect me.
I really want to work on letting go of the baggage and hurt feelings that i feel from those situations.
As for the privileged feeling. When i see the Duggar's with their 19 healthy children, first i think about how they are baby hoarders (lol) and then i think about how privileged they are to have that many living and healthy children with no losses.
It would have been a privilege or an advantage to me to be able to mother Truman, a happy and alive baby boy.
Hi Laura,
ReplyDeleteMe again... Just wanted to let you know - I had an appointment with my consultant who wants to keep a close eye on me as apparently I may be at risk of pre-eclampsia (because my blood is not haemodiluting). I am having a special scan at 23 weeks which will look for uterine artery notching - which is apparently a very good indicator of whether or not I will end up with the disease, and he said, if my blood pressure starts to raise he will put me on 1.5mg of calcium tablets a day. He says that that dose has a good effect on someone who is heading in the direction of pre-eclampsia. I'm sure you know all this already, but thought I'd pass the info on in case you wanted to look into the scan or calcium tablets for your next pregnancy.
Hi Laura, grief in those early months is absolutely devastating and all consuming. I know. I have been there. My baby was born premie too and when I was frantically looking for info, I came across this site inspire.com
ReplyDeleteThere are many kind women there who delivered early due to various issues. You may be able to get some support.
I wish there was something I could say to alleviate your pain :(
Aoife-- I actually didn't know any of that! I went to a regular doctor so they just blew all that stuff off with me. Even when my blood pressure started climbing, on 3 different visits... they told me not to worry and ignored me. When i asked the high risk doctors at UCSF what the plan is for next time they never really give me a straight answer.The only thing that i heard that helps is a baby aspirin a day so that the coiled blood vessels of the placenta can reach farther into the uterine wall. Your doctor didn't suggest a baby aspirin a day? I know some doctors think that if you don't do it right in the beginning that it doesn't make a difference.... I was pissed that they didn't put me on it once i was diagnosed.... just because why not? I'm being pumped full of all these other drugs, maybe it will help the baby get just a little more oxygen, just a little more nutrients to grow. But i am not a high risk doctor, these are just my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteHow are you feeling about all of this??
I'm thinking about you Aoife! Thank you for sharing this information with me.... please keep me updated on their plan of action as much as you can so i can or want to. xo
You have been absolutely meticulous in planning your writing and photos for this class. The way you connect it all is inspiring. You write beautififully compelling posts, and I LOVE the word you chose this week. I am also super impressed you found all those letters. It turned out fantastic. When I read this line I found myself nodding yes along with you:
ReplyDeleteMore then anyone on this earth i do believe that a parent who has lost their child understands what a privilege that it is to live.
Thank you for sharing your Truman, sharing your stories, and sharing your beautiful images. xo.
Laura, this is so amazing! I love your word and all your images. I completely am with you about this subject. I've lost and gained a lot of friends over the last year. I am a giver by nature so when I had to become a taker after Wilhelm died some of my friends didn't know how to react to me. I lost one of my closest friends b/c of it and most recently she told me she wasn't going to have me as her maid of honor any longer; she is getting married in May. It saddens me that some of the people in our life can't be patient with us in our grief journey, but I'm also so blessed to have met you and the other wonderful women in this baby loss community. The bond we all share is so powerful and I really hope we can continue to be a support to one another. As always...thinking of you and your sweet Truman.
ReplyDeleteOh and those darn Duggars! I don't understand why some people are given so many beautiful children and then some of us lose our precious babies. I suppose it will never make sense to me.
Hi Laura,
ReplyDeleteApologies for hitting your blog with a mammoth comment AGAIN, but just to clarify a few things you asked about... Seamus's death was not in any way related to pre-eclampsia, BUT, the hospital messed up because they accidentally disposed of my placenta which would have been key to finding out about its functioning throughout the pregnancy. We know that there was a 'plumbing problem' as Seamus's umbilical cord was missing an artery. This was ultimately what killed him as it made the cord long, thin, and too easy to compress. But without the placenta, we never got to find out if there were further problems.
My new consultant feels that the placenta would not have been functioning properly, given that the cord was not correctly formed, and that Seamus was a small baby. So, her first steps were to check my blood, to check for a clotting disorder. Her hunch was right, and I actually have a very mild form of thrombophilia, which means that my blood is slightly 'sticky' and prone to clotting. Because of this, she has put me on a low dose of aspirin, and blood thinning injections. It's probably being over cautious, but I will do anything to ensure a healthy pregnancy. (FYI I started taking the aspirin just after ovulation as it is supposed to help the embryo burrow in really well as it softens the womb lining)
The blood test results also showed that I have a very high red blood cell count. This is the part that makes them worry a little about pre-eclampsia. In a normal pregnancy, the blood should dilute down with extra platelets, but for some reason mine doesn't... They are worried that with all these extra red blood cells, my blood pressure will slowly begin to rise and that I may head towards pre-eclampsia.
So, they want to do this special scan - the uterine artery notching scan - as it is said to give an indication of someone who is headed in the direction of pre-eclampsia. I don't know why, but it has to be done at 23 weeks. I've done a little reading on it and the evidence is a bit sketchy - some people believe it is a valuable diagnostic tool, but others don't. As it doesn't have any negative side effects, I'm electing to have the scan.
Depending on the results, and depending on which direction my blood pressure goes, they may or may not put me on calcium tablets. There is quite a lot of info out there on how calcium can help with SOME cases of pre-eclampsia. Here's one article to start with:
http://www.library.nhs.uk/rss/newsAndRssArticle.aspx?uri=http://www.library.nhs.uk/resources/?id=154760
I'm ok with it all at the moment as my blood pressure is very low still, and I'm hoping that the injections and aspirin will do their job and keep my blood nice and thin and free flowing. But I am considering buying a blood pressure monitor to have at home, just to be extra vigilant. It's a terrifying condition - as you know all to well, but like you say, information is power, so I'm just trying to learn what I can and mentally prepare for it, in case it strikes.
Anyway, I hope that helps you to arm yourself with all the information you need. I hope you get a plan arranged that you are happy with for your next pregnancy. It's so important to have faith in your medical team. What really helped me whilst we were not allowed to start trying was, like you, getting myself into the best shape possible and getting all those blood tests done. Perhaps the hospital were just feeling super-guilty about accidentally disposing of my placenta, but I had every test under the sun - from cholesterol to hormone levels to blood disorders. I wanted as much information as possible.
Take care, and I'll keep you posted on anything else I find that might be of use. xx
and p.s. it makes me so angry that they poo-pooed your rising blood pressure... it's like when my midwives ignored my worry that Seamus's movements were slowing down... How can they be so complacent?! It's like our firstborns are disposable - why does it take a baby's death for them to sit up, pay attention and take things seriously?
ReplyDeleteI love your long messages Aoife. :) Please, always keep them coming! I find it very interesting what you told me about your doctor and his plan of action.
ReplyDeleteI will be taking notes so that i can compare them with my doctor's plan of action, once it's time to start a plan.
The Doctor's from USCF finally called yesterday to formally go over Truman's autopsy. Afterwards I brought up some of these things to them, that you have mentioned, just to see what they know and to pull more out of them.
I told them about the possible calcium and he seemed interested and confused and moved on from it quickly. It makes me wonder what the hell they are studying about Pre-e! It's frustrating though because like you said. Nothing about this disease is really known knowledge. It's like they are all guessing and have opinions for or against things but their is no concrete evidence for anything.
From the sounds of it though your doctor is progressive and educated on the subject. It is so important to have faith in your medical team. Which is hard to do after losing a child to pre-eclampsia.
I will have the search of lifetime finding the doctor who makes me feel confident that they know what they are doing and I can instill trust into them.
I am so glad that you had every test in the world done too and that people took the time to explain it to you!!!
Health care here in the states is SO f*cked up. It's scary. they took blood from me every single day in the hospital and every single day i asked for my test results and some explanation and all i ever got was "Your blood work looks with in normal limits."
They just don't have the time to put in the effort. and I am a medically minded person, i would have retained it very quickly and not wasted their time with 2 million questions. Hell i was running my own monitoring equipment and TEACHING the new nurses how to use them by my second day in the hospital!! and this is a "high quality" hospital. Anyways. Sorry i got side-tracked.
If i were you I would most definitely buy a at home blood pressure cuff.
It will help you feel like you have some sort of control over your healthcare and will give you peace of mind if you are feeling off. The day that i bought mine was the day that i took myself to the hospital.
This disease can progress so quickly, it's better to be safe.
It was my midwife who poo-pooed on my "impending doom" feelings and concerns of high bp. The doctors followed suit until my urine protein test came back well over 5,000. It is so ridiculous that people just blow pregnant women off the way that they do. They gaslight your concerns and the price is your child.... it's not fair. Next time around i will point out to people when i feel like they are gaslighting me. I won't have it.
I am glad that your bp is nice and low right now. sending you lots of love Aoife!