This week was about Light.
"Your path is illuminated by the light
Yet darkness lets the stars shine bright."
~J.L.W. Brooks
Yet darkness lets the stars shine bright."
~J.L.W. Brooks
This topic took my mind in so many directions. This may get a little deep on you guys but bare with me. haha i guess it's just the frame of mind that i am in this week.
My first thought was without darkness you can not have light and vice versa. At least to the human eye. We can not even fathom what other animals or people's eyes really see or how light effects their minds. it's all just a guess and maybe if you are lucky, a generalization. My guess is that all living species see in different ways because our brains are all different.
Our eyeball is trained to sense light and very quickly relay those messages to our brain in a way that makes sense to us. Thats all sight is. Nerve cells telling a story to our brain using light.
What exactly is light?
I'm not trying to provoke a science discussion. But really think about it. Gasses, particles, waves, radiation.
Chemistry teaches us that energy can never be created or destroyed, only changed. Did Truman's life energy fragment and change into light? Is that what people speak of when they say "the light within"? I can't pretend to know.
“If you look deep within, you will find a brilliant light. To many, far too many, squint and turn away from the shine. Let your eyes adjust, and bathe in the radiance.”
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~Elisabeth Kübler-Ros
As humans, we need light and dark in order to live. Literally. Without it, our food wouldn't grow.
As humans, we all have a spectrum of light and shadows within our own personalities. some have more of one then the other.
"The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so; but we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitoes and silly people." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
"From within or from behind, a light shines through us upon things, and makes us aware that we are nothing, but the light is all." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Then my mind went to the sun and to the stars and our universe and black holes and then to the 100-200 billion universes out there. Carl Sagan especially came to mind (See video)
and i just get overwhelmed with a humbleness.
"Nothing in the universe can travel at the speed of light, they say, forgetful of the shadow's speed. " ~Howard Nemerov
"Our findings suggest that unseen dark matter - which emits no light but has mass - has had a major effect on the formation and evolution of galaxies, and that bright active galaxies are only born within dark matter clumps of a certain size in the young universe.” Duncan Farrah
When i first became pregnant with Truman i thought about all the cells multiplying with in me and how his own little universe was forming. For one of my public announcements of my pregnancy on my facebook page, I posted a picture of a cluster of stars taken by NASA and announced, "My baby's first photograph."
"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars,
And the pismire is equally perfect,..."- Walt Whitman
"The lights of stars that were extinguished ages ago still reaches us. So it is with great men who died centuries ago, but still reach us with the radiations of their personalities."- Kahlil Gibran
I took this at the beach. I felt Truman all around me this day. So i edited in the tiny fragments, or the large universe of stars, however you want to look at it, into this picture. I like to think that it's a picture of me and Truman.
"I woke up before you in the total darkness
Early morning
I could hear the wind in the trees
I was looking for the light to bring you out
From the shadows
Redefine you now for only me......
The past is beautiful
Like the darkness between the fireflies"
Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. ~Benjamin Franklin
Though my soul may set in darkness,
It will rise in perfect light,
I have loved the stars too fondly
To be fearful of the night.
~Sarah Williams
It will rise in perfect light,
I have loved the stars too fondly
To be fearful of the night.
~Sarah Williams





I love the picture of you on the beach with the stars...It is amazing! I can go deep with you any day woman, so bring it. I love the concept of being so small in such a vast universe. It makes me feel small but it also reminds me of what miracles we are. Good job on assignment #2. A+ :)
ReplyDeleteTruman's foot print necklace is so beautiful....am sure he was a very beautiful baby. The footprints are so perfect.
ReplyDeleteI'm just amazed by your line of thinking and the beach photo. I met a baba who came to my house a month after my baby died, and his words of consolation to me were, 'if you lose hope when the sun sets and withdraw, you will never be able to look at the stars and experience their beauty'. It had been just a few weeks since my baby died and I didn't fully understand what he said then, neither did I draw much comfort from it.
After an year, I still don't.
But your post above reminded me of those words.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within."
ReplyDeleteThat is you, Laura. Lit from within, in a way that is radiantly beautiful. The darkness has not put you out.
But I know it still hurts. Really hurts.
I wonder when I will stop kicking against the "I wish"...?
I wish, I wish, I wish upon a star - for Truman in his mother's arms.
So love your words and your work,
Cathy in Missouri
Thanks babes! I love that i can be myself with you ladies and you always except me and all my thoughts! xoxo
ReplyDeleteThat picture at the beach is absolutely beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI love the picture at the beach. The colors are so vibrant and I love that you added the tiny fragments.
ReplyDeleteI too love that pic and how it relates to the post with the sunset and fragmanets like molecules or energy all around you. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteLaura, I am so beautifully moved by your post this week! All the amazing quotes so perfectly fit. I came across the same Elisabeth Kübler-Ros quote and was thinking of using it, but really wanted to find some beautiful stained glass to photograph, but just didn't find the time to make it happen. The video was so cool. I think the term humble fits quite nicely in the new me. I find myself much more humble than before and I have found a totally new perspective on life had I not known my sweet little boy I don't think I'd have. My absolute favorite photo is the beach. It's stunning! I just know that Truman was there with you with such pride for his beautiful mother.
ReplyDeleteI really like the Elisabeth Kubler-Ros quote!! The beach picture is absolutely amazing!! I'm a little jealous- wish I lived closer to the beach!! I also really like the last picture of your mothers ring it is really beautiful how the ring is glowing!xo
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how so much of this grief journey is about light and dark... Seamus will always be our little ball of sunshine through this horribly dark time (it sounds like a contradiction, but he is the light, what happened to him was the darkness). As we progress tiny chinks of light seem to burrow their way through... lighting candles is a ritual that makes us feel close to our babies... the dark of the night is when we feel the loss most keenly... Your picture on the beach captures so much - it's really beautiful.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful quotes and images. I love the Sarah Williams quote . . 'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.' I wouldn't be able to explain it but I feel it, if that makes any sense at all?
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of you and Truman, and of your mother's ring. Peridot is a beautiful stone, I'm biased because my girls were August babies too. xo
wow laura, you are just so unbelievably talented. i like what you were saying about light. i've always had similar thoughts about color. like is my red, your red? i don't think so. it's just the color you call red. it's a very interesting concept and one i think about often. i love you.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful (very!) photos and I love the quotes that you included. The jewelry that we wear becomes quite precious to us as it is one of the only outward reminders to the world that they existed and that they are loved and never forgotten. ♥
ReplyDeleteTru- very deep and a great read! I have also wondered about the color too!! You talent is amazing, the photo of Truman and you on the beach was one to get lost in, just beautiful! And you know the best quotes I've ever read. I remember when you posted my baby's first photo, I remember it being such a cool concept so powerful, "...all the cells multiplying with in me and how his own little universe was forming." Intense!! Light is a good subject for you. <3
ReplyDeletePS I love assignment #1 The letter and photos are soul moving. Keep being the powerful woman you are!
Love your photos and your quotes. They are all absolutely beautiful! The beach photo is just breathtaking!
ReplyDelete