I have been debating on whether or not I should blog about this topic. I am not the only person out there who is experiencing this feeling so I am going to just put it out there.
The quote that really helped me to understand that is from an amazing infant loss article that was posted to facebook last week. This line made me realize that this is a common occurrence in people who have experienced infant loss : "Infant loss is pruning from your life the friends and relatives who ignore or minimize your loss. It's recognizing that, while they may not mean to be hurtful, the fact that they don't know any better doesn't make their utter lack of empathy one whit easier to bear." - Laura Schubert
One of Jeff's good friends experienced a close loss of a family member many years ago.
Since Truman has died he hasn't called Jeff. When asked about it he says, "I just don't do well with stuff like this."
Whats really head shaking is the fact that Jeff had been there for him through a lot.
What I don't understand is who exactly loves dealing with grief and loss? This is no one's "stuff"! But thanks to Jeff and other friends, when he experienced loss he wasn't left alone, like he is now leaving Jeff.
I see it as extremely selfish.
And pathetic that someone would rather lose a friend then just acknowledge the loss that we are experiencing.
"People say hard times build character.... I say hard times reveal character."
I'm not even going to get into the people that have left me high and dry....
After your child dies, you really do see all the other bullshit with clear vision. Things become very matter-of-fact.
It is not that I am not a forgiving person. I have always been extremely forgiving. It didn't do me much good to forgive the way I had in the past, because often you just open yourself up for history to repeat itself. and honestly, i am so let down in life in general, i can't have more people letting me down on top of it all.
"Even though your baby is not in your arms you still feel a mother's pride and instincts. Protect yourself and your emotions as fiercely as you protect your child's memory. "
More so than anything its not the lack of words that hurts you, its the lack of action.
Its way to exhausting to hear "I am sorry" and then forgive and see no change in action.
"Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying."- Emerson
So what it comes down to is this: this is my new reality. The people around us and the people that are missing help shape that reality.
I really can not think of a more horrific thing that can happen to someone than losing your child. How your friends and loved ones react says so much about who they are.
During such a raw time, its easy to become vulnerable and resistant to want to let go of anything more in your life......
although it is so easy to let go when you finally know just how (un)important you are to them.


Isn't it crazy the loss upon loss that happens after your child dies. I feel like I am grieving not only the loss of my daughter but the loss of a sister for my son, my friends who I thought would be with me through thick and thin who call a couple times or text message me. SERIOUSLY...MY CHILD DIED! Why aren't people showing up? Where is everyone? it breaks my heart and at the same time, it is too exhausting to navigate that sadness, instead I just want to tell them to fuck off. I know people don't know what to say, but I am tired of making excuses for peoples inability to act. No one has really reached out to my husband either. That makes me mad. I am so sorry that your husbands close friend has been an asshole. (I don't really cuss this much in real life). I am so sooooo sorry that you are living without Truman and I am so sorry you have to deal with people not "showing up". It seems to be a consistent theme I read about on a lot of BL blogs. The friendships we grieve along with everything else. sigh
ReplyDeleteI don't even know where to start, because first, I want to say I'm sorry you have to experience people like that, but really, I'm sorry we all do. You're right, it is someting a lot of us struggle with.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had something really great and smart to say to you, but honestly, it stinks. In the beginning, I made excuses for people and let them off the hook--and then the angry phase of my grief set in and I changed my mind. Things that I let slide when Drew was first born are not things I let slide now.
I mean, when it comes down to it, I don't care what people say about me, but when it comes to my baby, I'm very protective of him. I feel like I have to protect his memory and people who don't remember him, or acknowledge him, or people who say rude and stupid things about him are people I can't have in my life right now.
Losing a child really puts things into perspective for you, a new perspective that others just don't get. So, sometimes they don't understand why we can't have them as part of our lives anymore, but really, at some point, you just have to do what's best for you. You've suffered enough and hurtful comments and actions shouldn't add to your suffering.
It's been almost 16 months since Drew was born, so I feel like it has slowly gotten easier to navigate this new life I have. I'm more comfortable saying what I will and won't do, what I can and can't do... but it wasn't easy. It took a lot of pain, suffering and tears, but at some point, I just decided I needed to do what made me feel comfortable, even if it made others uncomfortable. Some people have been able to deal with that, and others haven't. So, I have less friends from my old life--but, also some really great new friends in my new one.
Please know that even though we don't know you in "real life" and didn't know your sweet Truman, that we're all here to listen to you and to acknowledge and honor your sweet baby and all that you've been through.
Hang in there. I don't know if it will get better in the conventional sense, but I guess it does get a little easier to deal with (most days). :)
I just let go a huge sigh. I never want to share these feelings with anyone but i can not tell you how much it means to me that you guys get where i'm coming from.
ReplyDeleteI have friends here in town that have been amazing to me. But I have very close friends and family in New York, where I grew up, over 3,000 miles away. and it has been very interesting to see who has made it very known in every way possible that they are here for me and who hasn't. Its never easy keeping up a long distance friendship. So i have made many excuses too. I was trying my best to keep the friendships before this happened. Now its just..... different.
it pain is exhausting enough.
As much as this sucks, i am so glad there are other momma's out there who get me and are supportive of me.
I'm here for you ladies too. xo